DATING IN ICELAND
Are you single and planning on traveling alone to Iceland? Do you maybe think it´s lonely, frightening or strange traveling alone to Iceland?
By the end of this blog I ensure you, that whatever fear you might have will be gone.
I will in this blog tell you fun stories, good tips and insight knowledge on how it is dating in Iceland, when you are a foreigner.
Moving to Iceland
I have just recently moved to Iceland. I’ve flown approximately 2,500 km from Denmark to Iceland for the 6th time in my life. This time I am staying for a longer time and I will therefore be picking up my previous fun dating experiences in Iceland.
Before doing so, I´ll give you my very best knowledge about dating in Iceland as a foreigner.
Denmark you say? Well, is that country not even smaller than Iceland (geographically)? Yes, you are spot on with that point and it might seem really weird for both the Icelandic, Danish and well anyone I´ve come across, that I have taken this step of settling down in Iceland. BUT there are just so many amazing things about Iceland. Nature, food, culture AND the Icelandic men….! UuUUuffff…!
My favourite tv-show is “The Vikings” and it´s safe to say, that by visiting and dating in Iceland you´ll be dating a true Viking. Because let´s be serious for a moment, Regnar Lothbrok aka actor Travis Fimmel from “The Vikings” is just way out of my league. Unless you are a supermodel, I imagine he is out of your league too? So why not just settle for the next best thing – dating an Icelandic Viking or shield maiden?
If you haven’t already figured it out – I AM A GIRL and for obvious reasons I cannot tell you how it is going on a date in Iceland as a foreigner guy. But hey did you know that Iceland has won the Miss World competition four times? This means that Iceland has the MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN in the world per capita! I think this is a clear given factor, for you guys out there considering to travel to Iceland! Keep reading… I´m sure you will also find useful tips on dating in Iceland.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN DATING IN ICELAND
Single Gloves hanging around on the main shoppingstreet – Laugavegur.
Iceland´s geographical position has previously made the country very isolated from influences from other societies. This also seems to be the case when it comes to using up-to-date services while dating in Iceland. I am just JOKING! Dating in Iceland is not carried out through single gloves speed dating. Although this is a funny idea!
The Icelandic are on the app Tinder and I highly recommend dating in Iceland through this app.
My approach on Tinder is trying to set up dates that are active and while dating in Iceland, doing something typically local and Icelandic. I think it can get kind of tenuous always suggesting “let´s meet up and grab a coffee or beer?”. Why is this so boring you might think? Am I doing all this dating action wrong? NO! I just want to give you my best advices on dating in Iceland, so you can make the most out of your precious time here. Nothing is a waste of time if you just use the experience wisely and in this particular case #mydatinginIceland experience.
The date setup with drinking or eating together, in my opinion, is a tad too serious and both date participants are just way more conscious about their appearances and about saying something appealing and wise.
Go for a fun date at at the Icelandic Phallological Museum at Laugavegur 16, Reykjavík,
SWOP your typical dinner/beer date out with hunting waterfalls, riding Icelandic horses in beautiful nature surroundings, relaxing in natural hot springs or the local swimming pools, going on a snow scooter or being cultural and visiting one of the many interesting museums of Iceland. How´s this for a museum date option – THE PENIS MUSEUM?!! I´m not joking this time!
CHEAP/FREE DATES IN ICELAND
- GO FOR A STROLL…
I would normally say that going for a walk on a date also is kind of boring. However, it´s still an active date which I strongly recommend when going on a date in Iceland. By doing something active together it contributes on lightening the mood and perhaps also the awkwardness that dates at some points consist of.
Strolling tips: In the wintertime walk along the shore in Reykjavík and view the beautiful Mt. Esja and take nice photos of The Sun Voyager. Post it on Instagram using the hashtag #TheSunVoyager. We at Wake Up Reykjavik might just repost it, as we love sharing your beautiful shots of the city! In Icelandic the Sun Voyager is called Sólfarið and pronouncing it can be quite tricky. Well, actually pronouncing any word in Icelandic can be difficult. BUT make use of this and have fun with learning Icelandic with your viking/shieldmaiden date. It shows that you are interested in your date and it can also lift the mood and most likely contribute with many good laughs.
Beautiful shot of the Sun Voyager. Photo by @faredgestudios
If you are visiting Iceland in the summer, then go for a midnight sun stroll in Klambratún and experience the fun and weird Icelandic summer activity – folf. It´s a super fun way of doing something cheap and active on a date while you´re in Iceland! Folf is a sport with influence from frisbee and golf. Combining these two sports names makes up for the word folf.
- LISTEN TO A CONCERT/COMEDY SHOW…
The music scene in Iceland is just amazing! Honestly, this is also one of my major motivations of moving to Iceland. Maybe you´ve already heard about some Icelandic music, for instance Björk, Ásgeir Trausti, Sigur Rós or Gus Gus? I think they are all freaking good! Additionally, there are just sooooooo many other spectacular diverse music actions going on in Iceland throughout the week – both free and/or low priced.
Every Monday from 9:00 PM, Hurrá welcomes you to a free and cozy jazz evening.
Or if your´e in the mood for a good laugh – swing by Gaukarinn and experience an Icelandic impro comedy show from 9:00 PM. This is also free!
Every Tuesday from 8:30 PM, the extremely charming and cozy KEX Hostel offers a free jazz evening.
Other musicevent happenings throughout the week are for instance at Prikið, Hurrá, KEX Hostel and Gaukarinn. Before travelling to Iceland, check out what´s going on at the time of your stay in Iceland. Do this by visiting the venues´ Facebook pages, www.whatson.is, www. hvirfill.is or check TIX.is.
PROS ON DATING IN ICELAND…
- The Icelandic are SO beautiful! Both women and men. Maybe it´s their good genes, tracing back to the vikings? I do not know. You simply have to come over here and experience it firsthand!
- Hands down, the Icelandic are also the kindest people I´ve ever come across in my years of traveling around the world (30+ countries and counting). The Icelandic´s kindness feels sincere and warmhearted – not something staged or with a hidden agenda.
- Also, I´ve never been greeted with so many kisses on the cheek from guys before in my life! Coming from Denmark this is not something that I am used to and I got a bit puzzled the first times I experienced this kind of greeting, but let me just say that it feels pretty darn nice! It´s a really charming gesture and makes you feel elegant and feminine.
- Dating in Iceland and hearing the Icelandic speak with their cute dialect or hearing them say words in Icelandic is most definitely also a BIG positive factor of why you should date while traveling in Iceland. At least if you ask me! But again, I am Danish and my language must be one of the ugliest languages in the world. The Icelandic language on the other hand is charming and beautiful, because it due to its geographical location, small population and history has managed to keep the language as authentic and with as little influence from other spoken languages. The Icelandic roll a lot with their “R´s” and have funny letters that are difficult to pronounce. Again, that´s just what makes it all so charming.
- Since there are only approximately 330.000 people living in Iceland, they meet the same people all the time when going out. Dating in Iceland as foreigner is therefore something interesting for the Icelandic! Take this in your advantage!
CONS ON DATING IN ICELAND…
- Although I have many positive things to say about the Icelandic, I also in general feel they are a bit shy. With a few beers in their blood they´re very talkative!
- It can be quite pricy dating in Iceland so if you’re on a low-priced budget date in Iceland, then look through my above mentioned tips on dating in Iceland cheap/free.
- It´s mostly quite cold up here. But hey it´s also very cozy packing oneself in layers of warm clothes, drinking a hot cocoa while strolling through Laugavegur with your beautiful Icelandic Viking or shield maiden.
- You´re most likely going to go on some awesome dates in Iceland and you might find your potentially new boyfriend or girlfriend. This is naturally not that fun since you will be heading back home at some point. You can always come back again and resume your Icelandic dating adventures.
FUN FACT about Icelandic dating culture
ÍslendingaApp (an app for Íslendingabók)is the new “incest prevention” app, allowing the Icelandic users to bump their phones together and instantly find out whether or not they are related. The so-called “bump in the app before you bump in bed”.
This is the end of my blog, and I really hope that you are considering on coming to Iceland? Dating in Iceland is the best! If you have any questions or need more tips on dating in Iceland as a foreigner, please write a comment below and I will personally try to get back to you as soon as possible! Also did you know that my amazing team at Wake Up Reykjavik hosts fun Reykjavik Beer Tours? Maybe, I´ll see you and your Icelandic date when you are in Reykjavik on your super fun Beer Tour?